Reopening Our Libraries
Richmond Hill, we’ve missed you. Starting in August, you can visit our locations for limited services including printing, computer use, and to pick up your available holds (no appointment required). We remain closed as a gathering place at this time and continue to offer a variety of programs online.
NEW! Limited Services Available Starting August
We’re making limited services available as we enter into Stage 3 of the province’s reopening plan. Starting Aug. 4 (Central Library) and Aug. 18 (Richvale, Richmond Green and Oak Ridges Libraries), you’ll be able to pick up available holds (no appointment required), use computer and printer services, pay off fines, and pick up library cards in our locations.
For the safety of all staff and our community, all locations are open on a limited ability for on-demand services. Study areas and meeting rooms remain closed, and you are unable to browse our collection of books, DVDs and CDs at this time. Our programs will continue to be offered online.
Library Hours by Location
(starting Aug. 4)
|Mon/Fri 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tues/Wed/Thurs 10 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sat 1 - 5 p.m.
Curbside pickup available Tues-Thurs 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
|Oak Ridges (starting Aug. 18)||Tues/Wed/Thurs: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m
Sat: 1 - 5 p.m.
(starting Aug. 18)
|Tues/Wed/Thurs: 12:30 - 4:30 p.m.|
(starting Aug. 18)
|Tues/Thurs/Fri: 1 - 5 p.m.
Sat: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Your Safety is Our Priority
We strive to be the same library that you’ve trusted for safe, quality services for all ages. The safety and security of our community are of the utmost importance to us as we gradually reopen our services. Here are some of the steps we are taking to keep our staff and customers safe:
- Mandatory masks: Masks or face coverings are now required inside enclosed public spaces in Richmond Hill and throughout York Region. This includes City of Richmond Hill facilities. Exceptions include people who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons, children under the age of five or those who require accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Learn more at York.ca/MandatoryMasks. We’ll provide our customers with a disposable mask if you do not have one.
- Quarantining items: Items that are returned to our book bins are quarantined for 72 hours before they are reshelved by our staff and made available for pickup by our customers. Staff will also wear masks when preparing your holds.
- Limited capacity: We’ll be limiting the number of people who can enter our locations at the same time. Staff will monitor the flow of customers in and out of our branches, and socially distanced lines or arrows will be marked outside of our locations as well.
- Cleaning and disinfecting: We're conducting regular cleaning of surfaces in each of our locations.
- Hand sanitizer stations: Hand sanitizer will be available to you at our entrances and exits.
- Contact tracing: We'll collect contact information of customers who enter the library. This information will be kept for 30 days and will help us to inform you of any positive COVID-19 tests related to staff or visitors of the Library. Staff are also performing daily temperature checks and self-assessments prior to starting their workdays.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will RHPL locations be open?
Our locations are open for safe and low contact services only starting Aug. 4 (Central Library) and Aug. 18 (Richmond Green, Richvale, and Oak Ridges Libraries). All locations will be offered for limited hours during this period.
Is curbside pickup still available?
Our curbside pickup service has been quite popular. We’ll continue to offer a limited range of curbside pickup slots at Central Library during this time. If you’d like to receive your holds without waiting to schedule a curbside pickup time, you can choose to visit our locations during opening hours to safely pick up your hold yourself.
I have an item on hold at Oak Ridges, Richvale, or Richmond Green Library. What will happen with my hold?
We'll start processing these holds as items become available in the coming weeks. You'll receive a phone call or email when your hold is available for pickup.
How can I return my items to the Library?
Items can be returned through external drop boxes available 24/7 at each RHPL location. We will not be accepting returns at our service desks at this time.
What safety protocols will be in place?
It’s our priority to provide you with safe, reliable services. Our staff will be practicing physical distancing and will limit the amount of customers allowed inside our locations at once. All staff and customers are required to wear masks when inside our branches. For more information on how we’re keeping you safe during this time, please scroll up.
What library services are available?
Our locations remain closed as a gathering place, with limited services available to help meet your needs in this time. During our new hours, you may use the library to pick up holds, access computers and print documents. You may also pay your overdue fines and pick up your library card if you’ve received a digital card during our closure.
The library remains closed as a gathering place, with no access to study spaces or meetings rooms at this time.
How long can I stay in the library?
The library is closed as a community gathering space. To allow us to serve other community members while also maintaining physical distancing from others, we ask that you leave the library once you have received the items or services you need.
Why do I have to wear a mask?
As per City of Richmond Hill’s Policy to endorse York Region’s Mandatory Use of Face Masks and Coverings as of July 17, 2020, all visitors and customers are required to wear a mask or face covering upon entering and while they stay in Richmond Hill Public Library branches. The mask or face covering must cover the nose, mouth and chin, without gapping. For more information, please view this document from York Region Public Health.
How will your computers or check out stations be cleaned?
We’ve increased the frequency in which we clean our high-touch areas at our branches. Computers and devices will be cleaned using device-safe products. We ask that you refrain from cleaning library technology with your own wipes, cloths or sprays.