Technology at the Library
Many computers are available for use by community members at all four RHPL locations.
Each computer is automatically reset and erased after every session. We recommend bringing a USB stick or connecting to a cloud storage service (i.e. Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) for saving and managing data during your session.
Many useful applications are available on our computers, including:
- Microsoft Office: create and edit documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- Firefox and Chrome: internet browsers
- Audacity: audio editing
- Blender: 3D image editing
- GIMP: an open source graphic editing suite that is similar to the Adobe Photoshop suite.
- Inkscape: a vector graphic editing program similar to the popular Adobe Illustrator application.
Valid library card holders can use their card number and PIN to login to any computer for up to 2 hours per day. Our Express stations do not require a library card, and allow internet browsing for up to 30 minutes per session.
Early Literacy Stations
We offer Early Literacy Stations™ (ELS) at all locations. ELS are computers with software designed to offer children fun, educational and interactive experiences. ELS computers contain content that spans seven curricular areas: math, science and nature, social studies and geography, reading, art and music, writing and computer skills, and reference.
iMac Creative Workstations
We offer two iMac Creative Workstations at Central Library. The iMacs provide access to beginner and advanced audio
and visual software that will allow you to unleash your creativity as you work on exciting digital media projects.
Many useful applications are available on our iMac Creative Workstations, including:
- GarageBand: Music recording, creating and editing
- iMovie: Basic video editing suite
- Adobe Photoshop: Image editing and compositing
- Adobe Illustrator: Vector graphics and illustration
- Adobe InDesign: Page design for print & digital publishing
- Adobe Premiere Pro: Video production and editing
- Adobe After Effects: Cinematic visual effects & motion graphics
- Adobe Dreamweaver: Website creation and design
- Adobe Flash Builder: Coding Flash apps
You can reserve a three-hour workstation session by speaking with a librarian at Central Library’s 3rd Floor Information Desk, or by calling 905-884-9288 x5062.
Drop-ins are welcome but are dependent on equipment availability. You can extend your session based on staff’s discretion. Reservations will be held for 15 minutes, but time slots will be re-assigned in the event of a ‘no-show.’
Please note that you will need to save your work to a USB drive or a cloud-based service, such as Dropbox. Failure to do so will result in your data being lost once the computer restarts.
We offer free public wireless internet at all locations.
To connect to our free Wi-Fi service, simply:
- Ensure your device is powered on
- Enable your wireless adapter
- Connect to the “RHPL-Public”
- Launch a web browser (i.e. Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer)
- Acknowledge and click “I Agree” to our Internet Use Policy.
Printing, Scanning and Photocopying
RHPL offers printing and photocopying at all locations. You are required to add funds onto a copy card. Purchase a copy card and add funds at any of our customer service desks.
|Cost per page|
|Black and White||$.15|
Richmond Hill Public Library offers iPads for public use at our Central location. Here's what you need to know about borrowing our iPads:
- iPads are for use in the library only.
- You must be 14 years or older to borrow an iPad.
- You can borrow an iPad for three hours. To track your time, we suggest you set the alarm on the iPad.
- You are responsible for the iPad during the three-hour session. Do not leave it unattended.
- Late charges are $1 per hour to your RHPL account.
- iPads are available on a first come, first served basis. You may only borrow one iPad at a time.
- You are responsible for returning the iPad to the kiosk and ensuring that it locks tightly in place. If the iPad is lost or damaged, you will be billed $525 plus tax on your library card.
- If you want to use any apps other than those already installed, you must use your own Apple ID. These apps will be deleted once the iPad is returned.
Terms and conditions are subject to change