Local History and Genealogy
SERVICE UPDATE: We are now accepting appointments to use the collections in the Mary-Lou Griffin Local History Room. Receive genealogy and/or local history research assistance with our Local History Librarian.
Two-hour Appointments can be pre-booked by contacting email@example.com or calling 905.884.9288 ext. 5068.
You'll have access to the microfilm reader and printer (make sure you have your pink RHPL Copy Card). Public computers in the Local History Room remain unavailable at this time.
Richmond Hill Public Library offers a variety of genealogy services to community members, which includes access to print and digital databases, research help, and use of microfiche readers.
Not sure where to begin? We invite you to browse this section of the website to help get you started on your research. You are also encouraged to schedule an appointment with the Local History/Genealogy Librarian at 905-884-9288 ext. 5068, who will be pleased to assist you with your research.
In addition to housing the largest genealogical collection in York Region, we hold a significant and impressive collection of unique, historically-focused materials about Richmond Hill and surrounding communities, including:
- The Helen Schwab Collection which contains over one hundred volumes of information on families from the regions of York, Durham, and Peel
- Books and monographs
- Microfilms and microfiche
- Magazines and newsletters
- Family histories and scrapbooks
- Unique and rare research and primary source materials
Unique Digital Collections
Our extensive digital collections include:
- Local newspapers and clippings from 1857 to 1979
- Local history books and brochures
- Rare documents
- Vintage posters
We also provide access to a number of additional digital resources freely available to Library card holders. These include:
- Ancestry Library Edition (in Library use only)
- Toronto Star Pages of the Past (1894-2016)
- The Globe & Mail (1844-2016)
- Early Canadiana Online
- Our Ontario
York Region OGS Library
The Richmond Hill Public Library also houses the collection of the York Region Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society.